Thursday, February 24, 2011

02/21/11--TODAVIA BUSCANDO...

When I had the incredible experience of spending six months in Granada, Spain, ostensibly I went to study abroad...I got all 'sobresaliente' (or "A") marks in my University of Granada classes, and I never missed a single one, but I spent virtually all of my evenings in bars, tertulias, gypsy caves, and wandering among the ancient Moorish castles and streets of Granada looking to seek and define the mystery of what is commonly referred to in AndalucĂ­a as "duende"...
I filled ten huge sketchbooks with drawings and notes...soaked in (and sometimes played) hours upon hours of flamenco guitar music...and essentially didn't sleep for the duration...
The result I found is that 'duende' cannot be truly defined, but rather must be experienced...or perhaps pursued in a lifelong and unreachable journey...
...this sketch is an attempt to remind myself of that profound creative and inspirational time in my life...
...and help remind me not to get completely lost and buried in the avalanche of the day to day...

No comments: