Monday, January 10, 2011

01/10/11--GRAMPAW CINDERS...

This quick little chestnut is another thumbnail representing an idea I've been kicking around for quite awhile now...

I have always been a fan of Robert Osborn's work illustrating the "Grampaw Pettibone" character for Naval Aviation News...and the idea is brilliant.

Take critical safety lessons based on tragedy and statistics in a dangerous job, and communicate the point visually in a direct, humorous, and therefore more memorable illustration...

To put it more simply...

Reading sucks! Cartoons rule! ...and we remember and internalize them better...

What if the same idea were applied to the fire service? It might help us all to remember a thing or two that could possibly save a life... or maybe a lot of lives over time...
I am certainly not the first person to come up with this idea, but I might as well step up and do my share to carry this very worthwhile torch...

...one major discouragement to drawing that I've carried with me through the years is the anxiety that I should perhaps never share an idea, drawing, or design with others until it is ready...

well, ready or not, here they come!

As the years have passed, I've found myself prioritizing virtually everything before drawing. Since I have declared in my mind THIS YEAR to be an important year in my journey as a cartoonist/illustrator/animator, I am erring on the side of just at least using this blog as a tool to force myself to draw at least something every day, or as close to it as possible...

It is better to have scribbled AT LEAST one small thing in between emergency calls on the job(s), thrilling yet exhausting music gigs, and the chasing of little munchkins around the house,
than to forget to draw a single thing for....like...A YEAR (again)!!!

Why is THIS the year for a change????

Well, who asked you???!!!

Well, okay.... this has to be the year because I am getting the distinct impression that if I don't work to make something happen now, then another ten years are going to go by in an instant like they pretty much just did...and I will never develop a part of me that has always come somewhat naturally as a gift, and that I have thus far in my life squandered...despite my belief that I have a larger purpose for it...

And who knows if any of us have ten years to throw around and waste as we see fit? Every day is a gift...
...if no other thing, my chosen profession has taught me that...

...so gaze upon these humble little baby steps in my journey toward becoming a brilliant creative genious...

...or something...

cheers!

p.s. what will we all be doing tomorrow at 11:11 hours on 1/11/11???
(a good rehearsal for 11:11 on 11/11/11...later this year)...

No comments: