Wednesday, January 12, 2011

01/12/11--A SKETCH FROM A PORTRAIT...

As a sketch artist, my specialty has always been quick sketches done of the people around me on the street, in bars, etc. Most of them done when I was in Granada, Spain, or here in Columbia at places like the Blue Fugue.

Something I really haven't done much in a long time is a sketch using a photograph as reference material. Somehow, to me it feels much easier sketching live in the moment. Perhaps it is because in the moment I am more willing to make my lines flow with more vitality, with less of a feeling of committal. When the reference is there with as much time to view as I could want, I have to fight the urge to spend too much time with each part, and thus lose my idea of the big picture.

I fired off the above sketch in about 20 minutes from a photograph of an attractive model that I came across. The dimensions are not quite right, and it doesn't do the original picture justice, but I thought I'd share it here despite my reservations in order to compare to future progress I hope to make in doing portraits from photographic reference.

Apologies to the model...

No comments: